A few weeks ago, we headed over to East Texas and packed in two golf tournaments!
Saturday, we played in Longview, where Remi placed 2nd and Roen placed 3rd. Neither boy had their best rounds, but played well enough to place. These tournaments are all within the same league, but differ depending on which players show up to play. On this particular day, the competition wasn't great, which meant that even though both boys shot well over what they should have, they still placed.
Sunday, we headed over to Canton, where both boys placed 3rd. They both played much better, but the competition was much more tough. Remi faced the toughest competition in his age bracket. He was grouped with the number one ranked boy in this league, and held strong, hole for hole, par after par, evening squeezing in a birdie. I have never seen Remi put aside his nerves and play golf like he did on this day! I was his caddy for this tournament, so I got a front row seat to watching him play some pretty amazing golf! I was so proud of my boy!
I know I've said this million times, but one of the reasons I love golf so much is because out of all the sports out there, this one builds some serious character. Your competition is up close and personal, in your space all day long and despite your desire to win, you encourage him when he is down, you celebrate his impossible eagle shot, you check scores with each other after every single hole- not a moment goes by that you or he aren't aware of who is winning. Getting back up to the tee box after a frustrating double bogie, or watching the other guy sink a putt for par, while you just 3 putt, takes humility and an incredible about of mental strength. There are no fits, there are no umpires or refs to mediate- it is all on you, to keep track of the score, know what to do when your ball flies in the water, how long you can spend looking for a lost ball, what to do if it goes out of bounds, how many penalty strokes, understand when you can take free relief, red stakes, white stakes, it goes on and on and on!! Both boys have spent many hours on the course with Micah and because of this, they both know their game well- especially, my little rule enforcer, Remi! There have been many times during tournaments that I don't know what the rule is on a shot and I have to just trust them and go with it. In fact, it was Roen who taught me what free relief was- right in the middle of a tournament!
Next up, will be the boys hardest tournament yet, where they will be playing 18 holes, day after day. The competition will be incredibly tough and I don't anticipate either of them even coming close to placing, but as fun as it is to win, you gotta know how to lose! Micah and I's goal in all these tournaments isn't necessarily winning, but being so comfortable in tournament play, that by the time they (hopefully) join the high school team, they will be 100% confident and comfortable in that setting!
![]() |
| Remi stacking golf balls while he waited for Roen to finish his round |

1 comment:
Congratulations Remi & Roen!! I just think it’s really cool that you and Micah go with them as caddies, coaches or encouragers…whatever they need! I clearly don’t know all the rules because you lost me early on 😂. You described the game perfectly when you talked about the mental aspect. It’s so fun to watch, but I know it can be grueling. Thanks so much for sharing these pictures. The last one is awesome…who knew golf balls could be stacked?!?!? Go Remi…had to have total concentration. 👏🏻👏🏻
Love y’all bunches 😘
Post a Comment