Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Weaned...

Well, it's official...Roen is weaned!

However, I DID NOT plan on weaning him so soon and I am a bit emotional about it! We are going to Africa in June and there are several different vaccinations we had to get before we could go. About a month ago I asked Roen's pediatrician if it would be ok for me to get these vaccinations while still nursing. He said he didn't think it would be a problem. However, when I went to get my shots today, the nurse recommended me not nurse after taking them. Two of the shots were live viruses so there is always the chance I could pass that through my milk. Of course, I was not about to risk that! So cold turkey...we are done!

Actually, I had already gone down to only his bedtime feeding and sometimes he will wake up around 6:30 to eat and then go back to sleep until 7:30.  So I was really only cutting out that last feeding (sometimes two).

But...this was one of my most special times with Roen. I would just sit there and snuggle him while he laid in my arms one last time for the day! I was not prepared to stop feeding him today and I am really, really emotional about never getting to feed him again! Sometimes he would stop, look up at me and just smile. I always held his chubby little legs under my arm a certain way and he just fit so perfectly in my arms. Tonight when I went to put him down, it was like neither of us really knew what to do. He looked at me like 'Mommy, why aren't you feeding me?" and I wanted SO badly to just nurse him one last time. I even cried later to Micah! I was not emotional at all with Remi. I guess I just hadn't prepared myself yet.

Baby boy, I am not ready for this!

1 comment:

Cindy Rector said...

I am so sorry. That had to be very difficult for you but you made the right decision. But having said that...sometimes knowing something in our mind doesn't make our heart hurt any less. Love you! You are a wonderful mother!