Monday, September 24, 2012

Three Year Check-Up...

Today, Remi went to the Dr for his wellness check-up. He weighed 30.6 pounds (36%) and was 36 inches tall (17%). He did a hearing test, a picture identification test and took a nasal flu mist. He did great.

The only thing I brought up with the doctor was Remi's sleeping. I was curious about what the doctor would say. Every night, Remi goes to sleep in his own bed around 8:30/9:00. I lay with him until he falls asleep. Anywhere from about 2-4 hours after he falls asleep, he is up and by my bed. I either put him in bed with us to sleep the remainder of the night in our bed, or go lay with him in his bed until he falls back asleep...only to wake up again and again. Obviously, I usually end up putting him in our bed just so I can't get more sleep. ** side note, he naps GREAT! I do not lay with him until he falls asleep. I just give him a book, tuck him in and he is out.

Anyways, I told the doctor all this and he had some pretty good ideas. First of all, he said don't do for a child what he can do for himself. Meaning, don't lay with him while he falls asleep. He recommended either do this cold turkey or stay his room less each night until he can fall asleep on his own. He also said when he wakes up night to just go put him back in his bed and leave. Obviously, he will have several rough nights, but then hopefully will get the hang of it.

These things seem so common sense, but sometimes you just need to hear it from a doctor.

So here goes... tonight we will do this cold turkey. I'll let you know if we survive :)

2 comments:

Cindy Rector said...

Sounds like he is doing well. I hope you take a few naps when he is napping over the next few days. Transitions are hard no matter what the issue. He will get the hang of it I'm sure. Good Luck as sometimes our head knows what is the right thing to do....but our heart doesn't!

The Holik's said...

We had some of the same issues with Kylee, to the extent of us locking our bedroom door because she could open her door, and her kicking and screaming at our door to let her in. She did it for about 30 minutes, and went off to bed. It was kind of sad at first, and then it got kind of funny. Anyways, she's never had a problem since, and that was a couple of years ago.

Hope it goes good!! Be tough!! :)