Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Summer Swim Lessons...

Well, Summer swim lessons are officially over. The boys have made lots of progress and I am so proud of them!! I went ahead and signed them up for the fall/winter session because I really want both of them to have full confidence in the water and I want to know without a doubt that they can both swim independently. I will continue swim lessons until this happens.

This being said, I don't want it to seem like they have learned nothing. They have learned so much and are very comfortable in their abilities in the water. Technically, Remi can swim all by himself. He can go long distances and has amazing breath control. He has also achieved his 'self rescue'. He can jump in the water, immediately turn back to the wall and pull himself out. This teaches them how to pull themselves out of the water in the event they were to fall in unsupervised.

Roen's abilities, of course, aren't where Remi's are. This is because he is younger and he hasn't developed all the skills he needs to be at that level. Roen can also swim, but much shorter distances and needs full supervision (not that either of my kids EVER swim alone). Roen still has a bit to go, but I am so very proud of both boys and feel that you simply cannot put a price on a child's life.

Drowning scares me to death! It is the silent killer and happens so fast. One little distraction...that is all it takes. Germs, bugs, colds, blood... none of this really gets to me... but drowning.... I will do everything in my power to make sure my kids can swim.

Here they are showing off their ribbons of completion...

2 comments:

Whitnee said...

I am one proud auntie! Way to go boys!

Cindy Rector said...

Way to go guys! They have become quite the water bugs and it was awesome to watch them swim/play at the pool when they were here this summer. Great job mom & dad!!!