Monday, July 28, 2014

New Zealand: Christchurch

We spent one night in Christchurch before we headed home the next afternoon. We had most of the day on Saturday to mill around the city and then Sunday morning to do a bit more milling before we headed to the airport to begin our long journey home.

I LOVED Christchurch! Because of the earthquake they experienced in 2011, there was still a lot of visible destruction and rebuilding throughout the streets. Even with all the aftermath, the beauty and art within the city shined through. I really feel like I could have spent a week here exploring. Everywhere I turned, there were sweet little canopied shops, art covering buildings beautiful architecture.

I saw this little cupcake shop as we drove to dinner, and of course, it was nescesary to make it my first stop...







These sad, torn apart shops where everywhere...



This art installation really had impact by putting white painted chairs on an empty street corner that was home to a building now gone, due to the earthquake.





We just happened to stumble upon the local firehouse and I stopped because I knew the boys would LOVE to see pictures of this. Apparently, a lot of their house fires are caused by drinking and cooking! I also thought it was quite interesting that their rescue number was 111...







Here is some of the art that covered the walls of many buildings... beautiful and inspiring...





This awesome shopping and dinning area is called Container City. It is a part of the ReBuilding project and is made completely of big metal containers. This area was ultra trendy and hip... I LOVED it!





And, as we headed back to our hotel to collect our luggage, we spotted these wizards. Apparently, the old wizard in the middle is a 'real wizard' and makes public appearances all over the city. I think they were kinda of a big deal, but it seemed like grow-ups playing dress-up to me :)



Well, this is it... that was our trip in a nutshell! New Zealand is a place that I hope, one day, to return and will always be one of my most favorite places on Earth!

No comments: