Friday, October 16, 2015

October Reads...

So, in honor of October, I decided to dedicate this month to reading scary books. I do love giving myself a little fright every now and then :)

I started by googling the scariest books ever written. That is where Naomi's Room and Woman in Black came from. I would wait until the boys were in in bed, Micah on the back porch watching baseball, I would go into my library with the only light in the house on being my lamp and read... I felt this would give me the ultimate experience! And it did!



Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe
For me, the very scariest of the four was Namoi's Room. This book was just downright scary and really the feelings of that scared don't leave your mind for quite sometime even after finishing the book. I will say, if you are faint of heart.... don't for a second think about picking up this book. It is EXTREMELY disturbing and has no problem taking things to the ultimate level. There was one point where I was reading late at night, in my library, Micah was out in his mancave watching some big sporting event and I texted him that I was scared... really too scared to even walk to my bedroom... I had to put my book down... there was no more reading that night!

Woman in Black by Susan Hill
This was a simple, short ghost story. I really did like this book and read it in two days... really I could have read it in one day if I didn't have kids that needed annoying things like food and care :) It was a little eery but not really too scary.

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige Mckenzie
This was my favorite. And wouldn't you know, it was one of the ones I bought at the elementary book fair! It was a great mix of scary and good reading. I had a very hard time putting this down and can't wait for the sequel to come out this Spring!

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware
In a Dark, Dark Wood is the only one of these four that wasn't a ghost story. It was a murder mystery... a really good one! It was not really very scary to me; maybe only a couple of places that I would get a little anxious, but still a great read!

*Stay tuned... this month is not over and I have a couple more scary stories to devour that I will share sometime soon! Happy Haunting...

If you have any scary stories you've read, I'd love to add them to my list!

1 comment:

Cindy Rector said...

You are a little cra-cra!! I don't know why you would read something to scare yourself. Lol
Happy Haunting tales to you! Love you!