Tuesday, October 30, 2018

A Perfect Saturday...

Saturday was one of those days. One of those days that was so full of good things that I think I smiled all day long!

We started our day off bright and early by heading to the Annual Halloween Hustle, where Remi ran his very first 5K. The funny thing is, Roen is the one who came home from school with forms to fill out because he wanted to run in this so bad! Since Roen was doing it, Remi decided he might as well- although, a bit less enthusiastically. Well, turns out, Roen had a 9 o'clock flag football game and had to miss the race. Which left Remi running the race alone. However, one of his very best friends was running it as well, and I guess Remi decided in his mind he was going to do it, because I never heard a word from him otherwise.

Remi's little friend, just happens to be an incredible runner. As in, I bet he could have easily won the whole race. But, on the way to the race, he told his mom that he wanted to stay with Remi and finish with him. Running hasn't been something Remi has really enjoyed in the past, so I knew this would be slow going for him. As the runners went up to the starting line, Remi and his friend got right up close to the front and off they went in pretty fast start. I didn't see them again until the rounded the road to the finish line. As runner after runner finished, I kept my eye out until I finally saw Remi and Brian about 1/4 mile off. Remi was exhausted and started to walk, Brian slowed down and I heard him yell, "Come on, Remi, you can do it" and so Remi ran his heart out until the very end, finishing just seconds behind his friend.

In all honesty, seeing Remi's friend encourage him like that brought tears to my eyes. This was something Remi did all by himself, without me there to push himself harder than he has probably every pushed. But he had something even better, he had a friend there with him, that Remi said encouraged him along the entire way. Remi said they never stopped to walk, that they took their water breaks while running, and his buddy was with him the entire time.

The whole experience was amazing. I was so proud of Remi for stepping out of his comfort zone, I was so proud of his friend for being there for him and I am so proud that Remi has found such good buddies to surround himself with!

Remi finished 2nd in his age group at 32:31 minutes and paced 10:29 per mile.




(Keeping warm before the race began)

Closing in on the finish line...







In this picture, you can see his little buddy turned around making sure Remi is going to finish the race...




(Sweaty and tired)

These are the three boys from our school that participated. Sad Roen didn't get to be in this picture! I'm not a big runner myself, so I pinned Remi's number on his back instead of his front- I didn't even realize until I looked back at these pictures, lol!!



After running, Remi headed off for two back to back flag football games- the poor boy was exhausted to say the least. Roen ended up winning his game while Remi ran, which kept his little team undefeated, but Remi's team lost both games- playing the same undefeated team back-to-back.


After we got home, filled our tummies and put our fit up for a short bit. Since we still had not made it to the pumpkin patch, this was our decided day. I knew it was either fit it in or it wasn't happening before Halloween! We took the boys down the road to our little dairy where they met all the new calves, got lost in the corn maze and picked out some pumpkins to carve and a few for the front porch!
























Micah decided to carve a pumpkin this year, when he found a huge, warted, green pumpkin. The boys loved this and I loved watching all the serious faces they made as they perfected their jack-o-lanterns!



































Remi picked out a face and had me draw it on his pumpkin, then carved it entirely by himself. Roen on the other hand, took lead, drew nothing, just started carving as his little heart desired! My little free spirit and perfectionist- I love them both (even Roen's crazy pumpkin mouth)!



1 comment:

Cindy Rector said...

Remi the runner! I am so proud of this guy. I wish Roen could have participated with Remi and his friend. I can only imagine how excited you were to watch him cross the finish line. BTW....he has a great stride. His little tail must have been dragging after the ball games but you'd never know it by the excitement on his face at the pumpkin patch. He & Roen look fresh as daisies! I would have to agree this was a perfect Saturday. The pumpkin carving has all three of your boys looking like they are neurosurgeons. Such concentration mixed in with a few grins when it came time to dig out the goo! Roen's grin is so cute. The last picture brought this lyric to mind...(with a little modification, it's perfect):
They're creepy & they're kooky, mysterious & spooky,
They're all together ooky, the Davenport Family.....
Sending you all love & hugs! Have a great Halloween and then on to the Turkey Wobble!