Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Fall Reading...

I always get so excited about Fall and Halloween and pumpkins and cardigans, that I can hardly wait to get my stash of spooky books out! Here are the books I have read so far from my spooky stash, but because I have so many good ones to choose from, I will keep on going with the genre for the time being.



What Waits in the Woods by Kieran Scott
I picked this little book up at last year's book fair. I have been saving it for a year now! This was a quick read that held my attention until I could figure out 'who dun it'. There is one more book that is along the same lines called, 'What Waits in the Woods'. If I ever get through my 'to read' basket- which has now turned into a three self cart, I may pick this one up too. These books could easily be read in a day and sometimes there is something quite satisfying about opening a new book and finishing that night!

The End of Alice by A.M. Homes
This is by far, the most disturbing and disgusting book I have ever read. There has only been one book that I have ever read that would even be a close contender (The Girl Next Door) and even that seems like child's play compared to this. There were so many times I almost closed this book and just threw it away. I think I was hoping for the ending that would make everything else ok- that just didn't come. By the end I was so numb to the grotesque scenes and descriptions that I was almost just waiting for it at the turn of every page. Further research has led me to believe that the author's real purpose in writing this book was to get a reaction from the readers. In that, I can say without a doubt, he does 100%. Do yourself a favor- skip this book- no one needs the filth taking up space in their heads.

One For Sorrow by Mary Downing Hahn
I just love this author. Last year, I read 'Took' by Hahn and liked that book as much of this one. She writes short, simplified ghost stories. If you go to a quiet room while everyone else is sleeping and read her books, you might find your self just spooked enough for fun, but other than that, these are just fun little ghost stories. I will say out of the books I have read I think 'Took' has been the spookiest.

The Girl in the Locked Room by Mary Downing Hahn
This was a sweet little ghost story. It wasn't scary- just a lost little ghost soul who finally finds peace thanks to two sweet girls!

1 comment:

Cindy Rector said...

I know this is where our paths must split....no scary books or movies for me! Why in the world would you want to read about something that might cause you to be afraid of your own shadow? (lol) I'll just say happy reading and wait for you to get through this genre! Love & hugs!!