Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Summer Reading...

I chose to start the summer off with some children's literature. I wanted a genre that was quick and light since I knew our summer days were starting out busy. I have a little rolling library cart that holds all my 'to read' books and it is about half full of children's books- I am sucker for them!



Louisiana's Way Home by Kate DiCamillo
This is my first book to read by Kate DiCamillo. She is most famous for her book Because of Winn-Dixie and though I have read many of her books from the Mercy Watson series to the boys, this was a book I bought and read specifically for myself. It is a children's book, so it was an easy and quick read. However, the simplicity held so many sweet moments and deep messages within the story. This book made me appreciate the smell of baking cake, a mom in the kitchen, the sweet charm of southern people and the brave spirit of the feisty Louisiana!

The Cricket in Times Square by Garth Williams
This is a book my mom read to her 4th Graders year after year and has been quoting forever! I figured it was time I read this book that she so dearly loved! What a sweet little story of friendship. I loved the little relationships between Harry Cat, Chester Cricket and Tucker Mouse- I could see my boys in each of their personalities. Mario is the main human character and he reminded me a little bit of my Remi. This sweet story that centers on friendship, home, and saying goodbye is definitely a book I will be reading to my boys.

Charlotte's Web by EB White
Why in the world did I wait until I was 35 to read this book!? Oh, this book was absolutely magical! I loved little Fern- the main human character, and I adore Wilbur, but Charlotte- well she just stole my heart! This book has so many little messages hidden throughout! It is about friendship, change, saying goodbye, seeing the good, trusting and believing. The ending was so beautifully heartbreaking and fulfilling in the most simplistic way that only a child's book can be! After finishing the last page, wiping my tears and flipping through the pages one more time, I realized that the forward to this book was by none other than Kate DiCamillo (the author of the first book on this post). I took the time to read it, and I have to say, her words spoke so truthfully to my heart, I cried again! It was just icing on the cake to this wonderful little read!

I included a picture, because it is just to perfect not to share...



Wishtree by Katherine Applegate
This was a sweet little book that took no time at all to read. The chapters were short and the type big. It was based on the the life of and old wise Wish Tree and all it's animal occupants. The story makes you appreciate the nature around us and the animals we are often too busy to notice. It centers around hope and friendship. I was happy that Samar- the main human character was able to find friendship with an unlikely boy. Simple, sweet and a happy ending!

1 comment:

Cindy Rector said...

Somehow I missed this post, but when I get settled I’ll be reading Charlotte’s Web! Life does go on and we do need to embrace the beauty and wonder. Thanks for sharing! 😘