Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sleep Training ...

NIGHT ONE:

Last night went better in some ways and worse in others than I expected.

The worse part for sure was getting him to initially go to sleep. I thought this would really be no problem since he used to falling asleep by himself during naps. It took about 1 1/2 of putting him back in bed, him getting out, him crying, us closing our door, before I finally sat on his toy box for 5 minutes just so he would lay down. He was out within these 5 minutes because it was so far past his bedtime. He fell asleep around 10. Hopefully, tonight I wont' have to sit with him...we will see.

He woke up at 11:15- I put him back in bed- no fussing or crying- went back to sleep

woke up around 1:15- I put him back in bed- no fussing or crying- about 5 minutes later, he made a palette outside our door and fell asleep. About 20 minutes later, I carried him to back to his bed. This woke him up, but I kissed him and said good night. He didn't cry of fuss here either.

About 5 minutes later he made another palette outside our door and slept there until 6:30. At 6:30 he woke up and came to my side of the bed. I took him back to bed where he slept until

I was really proud of him for not fussing or crying AT ALL during the night. Every time I put him back in bed, he just wanted his lambie and flashlight and he seemed to be fine. I am interested to see how tonight goes.


NIGHT TWO:

Laid Remi down at 8:30- we did storytime and prayers. Then I left and he got really upset again. This time I ended up having to shut his door (there is a childlock on it and he cant get out once it’s shut). This REALLY, REALLY upset him. After a couple of minutes, I went back in there and explained if he wanted his door open, he could not get out of bed. He asked for Micah, and after Micah told him goodnight, he was asleep within 5 minutes (around 9:30). I’d say it took a total of 45 minutes for him to settle down and fall asleep start to finish. A lot better than the last night!

He woke up around 12:15. I put him back in bed- no fussing or crying and he was back to sleep in no time.

He woke up again around 4:45- Again, I put him back in bed- no fussing or crying and he went right back to sleep.

He slept until about 7:30!

I slept better than I have in a LONG time!!! Wow! I hope tonight goes even better. Thus far, I have realized that shutting his door is the best tool I have. He HATES it and threatening it is the best way to keep him in bed! I am so proud of him!


NIGHT THREE:

Going to bed tonight was a HUGE improvement! After story and prayers, Remi asked me to sit on his toybox. When I said no, he got out of bed and ran to my bed. After talking to him about what would happen if he got out of bed again (shutting his door) he willing went back to bed and I never heard another peep out of him! He slept until around 7:00 this morning!


NIGHT FOUR:

Tonight melted my heart! Earlier in the evening, we lost Lambie. This happens occassionally, and it is usually pretty upsetting to Remi! We were sitting on the couch watching TV when I told Remi it was time for bed. He said "momma, you sit on the toy box by my bed?" I said "no, you are a big boy and can go to bed by yourself." So we went to his room, I turned off his lamp, made sure he had his book and flashlight. Then I said "you know we don't have Lambie, he must be hiding from us" and he said "yeah I know". After his story and prayers, he said "momma, you sit on the couch" I said "you want me to sit on the couch?" and he said "yea, so I know where you are". I went and sat on the couch and could see him shining his flashlight on the ceiling until finally it was still and he was asleep (about 5 minutes later). He seemed like such a big boy with the things he said to me tonight. I was so proud of him.

I feel like we have officially made this transition. With it only taking 3 nights, I feel like this went as smoothly as possible!

Though this transition means better sleep for us all, I feel like we ended this very sweet chapter in our lives with Remi. It makes me a bit sad that he will no longer snuggle up to me during the night and is big enough to sleep all by himself. I loved laying with him until he fell asleep every night and those sweet sleepy kisses he is rarely so generous with. We are proud of you little man!


{Remi on night one outside our door} *he got his Baby Bear, Baby Bear book, covered it up with Lambie and used it as a pillow!

5 comments:

Cindy Rector said...

Way to Go! Sounds like he made the transition much better than I thought he would. Has Lambie come out of hiding? Hope so! Love you all!

Amy Holifield said...

Way to go, Momma! It's harder on us than it is on them to make these transitions.

The Holik's said...

Good job Lauri!! I agree it is harder on us!! Your boys are so cute!!

Elliott and Cherry Wood said...

So glad you are getting some sleep!! We had a hard time with Lofton a couple of months ago with getting up several times a night and the threat of the door being shut helped us out MAJORLY. Proud of you for sticking to your guns :)

laura said...

Yay for sleep! Way to go Remi.