Monday, August 13, 2018

Turks & Caicos Day 1...

Our first full day at Turks was a long day filled full of lots of little adventures! We woke up early ordered breakfast in the room and I sipped hot tea while enjoying every single minute of the view....





After breakfast, our transportation arrived and picked us up...







We were dropped off at the local marina and hopped aboard our boat for the day. The boys loved getting to ride at the front, letting their legs dangle and faces get splashed with salt water as we sped through the ocean blue. We were served rum punch, sodas and anything else we desired- our captain and first mate were awesome hosts!



















Our fist stop was a secret place in the middle of nowhere, where we put on our snorkeling gear and dove for sand dollars. There were sand dollars everywhere! They are very fragile, so between that and deep diving required to retrieve them, I was pretty proud at how many the boys were able collect! I cannot think of many things the boys like more than snorkeling and exploring the ocean floor, so for them, this was the most perfect way to start their day! Each successful claim of a sand dollar was like finding treasure to them...







After collecting sand dollars, we headed to a reef to see all the pretty coral and ocean life hiding in all the nook and crannies. After hopping off the boat, we followed our First Mate around for a bit watching as he speared fish for our lunch. Then while Micah and Remi ventured off to explore, Roen and I went in the other direction.

We had been snorkeling for quite some time when out of nowhere I hear Roen holler through his snorkel something like ... "blah blah bubbles blah SHARK!" So, I pop up out of water- only to realize we are way way further from the boat than I realized- to hear him better and in his most excited voice, he yelled again, "Mom, there's a shark!" I didn't even turn to look, I grabbed his hand and swam like I had never swam before until we were closer to the boat. In my momma bear mind, I had to get my baby to safety. Though we didn't get out at this point, I never got to see the shark- which I hate that I didn't even take time to look, but our captain said he saw it too and that it was a Black Tipped Reef Shark. Roen's day was made and getting to come home to tell everyone he not only saw a shark but swam within feet of it was maybe the highlight of his entire trip!



















After snorkeling on the reef, we loaded up again and headed to the much anticipated Iguana Island. I visited this little island last time I was in Turks and requested we go again so the boys could meet the island lizards. There are literally wild Iguanas everywhere! Some are little and some are giant! The boys had an absolute blast chasing them around, running when they charged and poking them out from underneath the bushes!











On the other side of Iguana Island is Half Moon Bay. In my mind, I have catalogued the prettiest places I have ever been- Half Moon Bay in now a part of that mental collection. The pictures do not do it justice and neither will my words, but if you ever venture to this little corner of the world, you have to visit this bay. It is made up of lots of little shallow ponds of clear ocean water almost as if it is collection of desert oasis in the middle of the ocean!







After exploring the Iguana Island, we walked to the other side of the island where we climbed rocks, dove for conch shells and snorkeled until lunch was ready...

















Luch was prepared by our Captain and First Mate. It was fresh fish speared on our snorkeling outings, cleaned on the back of the boat and cooked to perfection...




After lunch, we had one last little area to explore. We headed over to another uninhabited island. Right off the shores of the island was a shipwreck about a decade ago. We started by snorkeling the shipwreck and then swam ashore. It is tradition that on this shore, as family, you build a rock tower and it is said that if you build it sturdy enough to stand time, your family, too will stay strong. Of course, my little builder, Remi took lead on this project and had a tower built in no time!









After our long day of exploring the waters of Turks and Caicos, we came back, got cleaned up and had dinner at Infiniti at Grace Bay Club. It was a perfect breezy evening under the sunset to end a day we will never forget...







1 comment:

Cindy Rector said...

Pictures do speak a thousand words! This "Day One" was incredible. I can't even begin to express my thoughts into words. You captured so many fun moments that I am in awe. Love all of them...especially the....well...ALL OF THEM! Can't wait to see the rest.

You know I watch HGTV shows about people retiring and going to buy a home on an island or near a resort area and wonder how they could possibly do that...well if I weren't such a chicken little, I think I could live in Turks & Caicos!

Love you all!!